Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Tulsa Weekend: Birthday Celebrations

Forgive me for lagging behind on my blog posts. This weekend was especially busy! Friday and Saturday, we had some friends come stay with us. It was really great seeing them and getting to catch up and hang out, even if it was only for a short while. Then, Saturday evening, Aaron and I headed off to Tulsa to visit my family. We had a lot of birthdays to celebrate!

We arrived Saturday night—after a long, long, long trip through the boonies of Oklahoma. Hooray! :D We did have an interesting time the closer we got to Tulsa though. We were driving behind an ambulance for quite some time. They didn't have their lights on, but we saw a person laying on a gurney in the back. Aaron and I wondered if the person had already passed away, or what was happening. You would think if they had someone on a gurney in the back, they would be booking it to the hospital. Not so. However, the farther we went, we did see the person on the gurney sit up and start to move around—that was a good sign to us since we thought the person had already died.

Back on track.

We arrived in Tulsa and got to talk with my family for a bit before we all decided to retire to bed, which was difficult to do because Harry Potter was playing on TV! :D However, as I told my dad I would, I turned off the television and made it to bed.

Sunday morning we went to church and then we took lunch over to my grandparents' house. Funny story. We went to bring them barbecue. We stopped at this barbecue place in downtown Tulsa called Back Alley Blues—normally a really great place that I do recommend—but when we stopped there on Sunday, we were looking over the menus trying to decide what we wanted when the waitress stopped by to inform us that the ribs weren't ready yet (mind you, it was already 12:30 at this point). I was really disappointed because I'm a ribs' girl myself, but I decided I could/would find something else to order. Then we decided, as a group, that we would order the smoked chicken and brisket, to which the waitress responded, "Oh, we're also out of chicken right now." Haha. Well, that decided it for us. We headed over to Rib Crib instead (and they gave us FREE ice cream! Another benefit of switching restaurants). The whole situation was more comical to us than frustrating. We had some good laughs over the barbecue place not having ribs or smoked chicken. (I'm not saying this to bad-talk Back Alley Blues, because I still highly recommend it. I just hope you go on a day when they have ribs and smoked chicken!)

After a short visit with the grandparents, we went over to my other grandparents' house to begin the birthday celebrations! On the way there, I snapped this lovely picture:


This is my little brother (not so little anymore), Karsten. Let me just let you all know that just about every car ride we take, whether it be a ten-minute drive or a super long road trip, my brother ALWAYS, without fail, falls asleep in the car. I believe when I posted this picture on Facebook the other day, I captioned it: "Almost sixteen years old but some things never change. He always falls asleep in the car no matter how short the trip."

I always get a kick out of it though and I'm always amazed that he can sleep sitting straight up like this. However, I will say this is one of the more believable positions. I wish I had a picture to show you, but he usually sleeps in the car with his head bent all the way over on top of his shoulder. It makes you cringe just looking at him when he does that. You can't imagine that that can be comfortable, but it is to Karsten!

Anyway, we made it over to my grandparents' house after our short trip in the car—though a surprisingly restful trip for Karsten. It was great to see my grandparents. My grandpa had just recently come home from the rehabilitation center after he took a pretty bad fall. He was really excited to be home!

While we were there, I introduced everyone to these cookies that I make for Aaron sometimes. They are a friend's recipe. They all loved them! My great uncle had to have had at least five cookies—it was really funny to watch him sneaking them behind my great aunt's back. Haha. And then my grandpa had two of them, which he usually isn't allowed to have because he is a diabetic, but my grandma allowed it since it was his birthday, after all! :)

Then came the presents! I wish I had a picture of the gift I gave my dad. (His birthday was August 30th so this was the first time we saw him since then). My dad is a huge Star Wars fan so I got him this little book called, Darth Vader and Son. He seemed to really enjoy it! And it needed a little something else with it so I threw in a Darth Vader bobble head I came across at the store a few weeks ago.

My brother's birthday is tomorrow actually so we wanted to celebrate with him while we were there. My brother is an avid reader so I thought a book would be right up his alley. I got him the Collectible Edition of Sherlock Holmes.


Have you all seen these at Barnes and Noble? They are so cool! They have several different classical works that they have rebound and made into collectible editions. I'm hoping to collect some for myself at some point.

I wasn't so sure of what to get my grandpa so I just gave him a Stampin' Up card I had made for him for his birthday. I think he really loved it though!

After some good quality time with family, my parents, my brother, Aaron, and I headed off to have our own little family celebration. So after some indecisive deliberation, we decided to go to Dave and Busters. It was so much fun! We had dinner and got to play games for several hours! They even had a four-person air hockey table! It was crazy!!

My mom and I got really excited when we saw they had Frogger. Does anyone remember that game?! So much fun, right? Well, this was NOT the same thing. It was really bizarre. So if you ever go to Dave and Busters, don't be fooled! It is NOT the Frogger you remember. Trust me on that.




We were able to stay Monday as well because of Aaron's special work schedule. We lounged around the house for a bit and then headed out to my dad's work to meet him for lunch. He took us to this really cute little sandwich shop down the road from his office. And everyone gets a FREE cookie with their meal when they go. I love FREE stuff! Especially cookies! :D



And they had some pretty amazing peach tea. 




Got my iced tea! :) Mmm good!

Then it was back to make cupcakes for my brother's Boy Scout meeting. We were limited on blue icing so I couldn't spell out Happy or Birthday or Karsten, but abbrevs are so in right now, right?



Sadly, every good weekend does eventually have to come to an end. My mom and me iced the cupcakes and then Aaron and I hit the road. Home we returned. 

No comments:

Post a Comment