Monday, October 21, 2013

Christmas Gift Idea #6: Beaded Silverware

Before I share with you Christmas Gift Idea #6, as always I want to start off with a Christmas clip. I really enjoy this movie! I make sure to watch it every year at Christmas. This scene in particular is pretty spectacular. If you haven't seen the Santa Clause movie, put it on your to-do list this season. It's a great movie. Also, I'm sorry this clip isn't better quality. It was the only one I could find of this scene. The sound is still pretty good though so I hope you enjoy it all the same!



Christmas Gift Idea #6: Beaded Silverware

I learned this great idea from a women's event at my church! We had an event where we learned about great Christmas gift ideas for under $10. (Sound familiar?) Don't worry though, I've been creative with this blog. I haven't used any of those ideas until now. Although if you read my blog before the Christmas Gift Idea series, you may remember a post featuring the knitting loom I use to knit scarves and blankets—I was introduced to that idea at this women's Christmas event. But hey! Taking what you've learned, applying it to your life, and sharing it with others is a great practice to keep. :) I hope that you will take these ideas I'm giving you in my post, apply them to your holiday gifting activities, and then share these ideas with your friends and family! 

But back to the post! I will be taking you through this step by step. 

Materials: You will need a serving fork and spoon. I believe I got these from Walmart for a buck and a half each. Then you will need some wire (pictured to the left) and some beads. For my first set of these, I used purple and blue beads and it turned out great! Pick out whatever beads you think would be best for the recipient of your gift.  


1. First, take your wire and wrap it tightly around the end of your utensil. It's okay if it slides because that will get corrected once we have finished
wrapping the beads.









2. Second, divide your beads in half. You will use half for the spoon and half for the fork. (I'm sure most of you know that, but I know that sometimes when I start crafting I lose sight of even the simplest of things because I'm so caught up in what I'm doing!)








3. After you have strung your beads on the wire, wrap the string of beads around the utensil until you make it to the base of the head. Then, wrap the remaining wire around the top of the beads you ended with and continue to wrap the remaining wire around the other beads to make it hold tighter.

4. Then repeat with the other utensil. My mom is in town visiting this week so she helped me put together the spoon tonight. You can see that the two look different, but when you are making your own, you can make them look the same. Each person might have a different look to theirs depending on the order of the beads and how they arranged the beads as they were spinning them around the utensil.

Now all you have to do is wrap them up! If you would like to add more to this gift, perhaps you can find a pretty salad bowl and kitchen towels to accompany your serving fork and spoon, or some other kitchen serving dish.

Until next time! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment